Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

The darkness before the dawn

There is certainly no telling when these things will happen.  I notice that I don't like to admit to myself how 'low' I was in spirit the other night after exhausting myself in class.  But I was.  And now I'm not.  Quite the opposite in fact.  This morning I awoke early, feeling 'at the peak of my game', and excited to get to work on projects that have been waiting on the back shelf for quite awhile.  Of course I'll take care.  My body still is in need of healing.  Of that I became very aware during this last weekend.  But my spirit is rejuvenated and my mind is sharp.  I feel excited, and it feels like my creative juices are running at full steam.

I've noticed this phenomena before, after other 'low' times in my life.  It really does seem that 'depression' and 'low times' aren't necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe they are truly just the darkness before the dawn.  Maybe those lower times are even necessary for the rejuvenation and healing needed for some of our most creative work.  At least, that's what seems to have happened with me.

I can't say that this understanding helps me to look forward to dark times that may come (and there will be more, I'm pretty sure), but it certainly helps me know they are not 'wasted', not to be feared, and helps me to go through the experience with a little more forgiveness and grace.

Might it be true that for every high there is a needed low?  Might this be an example of what is said in holy writ that "there must needs be an opposite in all things"?  Physics bears out this same principle.  Interesting thought to ponder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text